- Game-changing innovation is possible in any company or category.
- Managers offer many definitions of “innovation;” consumers use just one: a new offering that resolves a circumstance of struggle and fulfills an unmet aspiration.
- Breakthrough Winners overwhelmingly make Category Expansion a criteria for innovation ideas.
- Demand Driven Innovation is lean innovation in that waste, risk, and time are relentlessly and systematically removed from the system.
- Innovation success has very little to do with luck or genius – and even less to do with magic.
The vital point of a complete innovation job spec is to “understand the context, the emotions, and the desired outcome.” This can be done by framing products as services that has been designed for customers because this is the way that they will adopt and adapt products into their lifestyle. It also “guards against an overly narrow focus on the physical product attribute dimensions of innovations.”
Graphic is from the report. Read the full report here: Breakthrough Innovation Report 2014